fot

Re: [FOT] Any Amici Participating in SCCA Improved Touring ?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Any Amici Participating in SCCA Improved Touring ?
From: "RACER BUD" <budscars@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:19:19 -0700
Speaking of TR8's....Maybe some of you know about this story....Back in the
early days of SCCA Showroom stock Racing...The races were Claiming races...A
competitor could buy any race car in the Class..after the race..for 500.00
over what the owner had paid for the car(the 500.00 was intended to cover
the costs of roll bar and other safety stuff...The rule was.intended to keep
the cars stock)..In about 1980-81..Dave Vanek..a very successful Datsun
Driver began racing a SStock TR8.....In a race at Riverside..that Dave
won....his car was claimed by a competitor..Dave didn't like this....a
battle ensued..leading to Dave calling the authorities.Accusing SCCA of....
'Auto Theft'..My old memory tells me that that incident was the Spearhead of
the demise of 'Claiming Races'....
What a great sport we have!  always some Fun Stuff..Year after year!
Racer Bud