fot

RE: [FOT] merge colectors

To: "'joe dirt'" <oldskooling@yahoo.com>, vinttr4@geneseo.net,
Subject: RE: [FOT] merge colectors
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:01:07 -0700
That's probably partly true, but our racing motors have plenty of overlap.

All of four stroke exhaust tuning theory has to do with extraction of the
burned gasses (and drawing in the fresh charge). With two strokes you add in
the complexity of packing the fresh charge back into the cylinder before it
escapes, which is why expansion chambers look so weird. A merge collector
will give you a powerful extraction pulse as the gasses expand past the
constriction, the trick is to have it arrive back at the exhaust valve at
the right time. With our relatively low revving engine, you probably need a
very long pipe before the collector.

Without a megaphone the extraction pulse will be relatively short lived, so
it won't help much when the RPMs are lower than the tuned peak. It helps
somewhat when RPMs are higher than the peak. Pipe length, cam timing,
atmospheric pressure, ambient and exhaust temperature, and which side of you
mouth you park your tongue in all effect the tuning.