fot

Re: [FOT] 4Cyl Tractor engine liner height

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] 4Cyl Tractor engine liner height
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 19:43:54 -1000
Gee, the only reason I use steel gaskets is that the composite ones
seem to suck. they don't have good enough fire rings, and I've had
way too many blow on me. the steel gaskets hold up better, as long as
they are copper ringed. I never worried about the C/R.

If you have big intake valves you can't do anything to the composite
gaskets to unshroud the valve. anywhere that the gasket protrudes
into the combustion chamber melts away and then the hot gasses tunnel
through the composite.

I also like the solid copper gaskets, though I had one give out this
year. If I could get a composite gasket with a steel fire ring like
you get for any import engine then I'd never buy another shim steel
one--but all we can get is these fluffy copper clad things. You have
to torque and retorque them, and your torque always feels kind of iffy.