fot

RE: [FOT] TR3 STEERING QUESTION

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] TR3 STEERING QUESTION
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:16:16 -0700
> Those of us continued to be blessed with the original TR2/3 Steering
> components may share this problem.  Despite periodic rebuilds, my
> steering box leaks.
> Is there any reason why I shouldn't pack this with grease instead
> of fluid?
> Seems to me it ought to work.  Anyone think of any reason I should not do
> this?

Makes the steering a lot stiffer, in my experience.  Otherwise it works
fine.  Made my arms hurt driving on the street, but might be OK on the
track.

The stock steering box has the bushing rather low, with a lot of shaft
unsupported above it.  One suggestion I've heard (but not tried) is to add
another bushing in the stiffening rib higher up than the original bushing
(which is retained).

Also, during a rebuild, it's important that the surface of the shaft be very
smooth in the seal area.  IMO anything that can be seen as a dark line, or
felt with a fingernail, in the seal area must be polished out.  Mine leaks
after it's only rebuild (AFAIK), but only a couple of ounces per year.

Randall