fot

Re: [FOT] Re: Gasket

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Re: Gasket
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:17:32 -1000
Perhaps a good handful of sawdust in the oil, and a couple of
bottle's of  Barr's Leaks.

Jack, you'd probably gag if you saw how I prep a shim gasket, but
what I'm really trying to make is a homebrew composite that stays
together. I start with minimal protrusion of the liners--just enough
to catch a fingernail. Probably just .001 to .002. I have a vast
assortment of figure 8 gaskets and no two seem to be quite the same
thickness. Mix and match. I have a little beam I bolt diagonally
across the liner pairs to press them down without putting the head
back on.

I trim the gasket with a rotary grinder in the areas where I've
ground away liner to unshroud the intake valves. Then I glue two
circles of copper wire in the outer shim dimple with hot glue. I tack
them down first, then put a thin layer of glue all the way around
once they are in place. I also put a circle of glue around the oil
hole and the bolt holes--just for good luck. then I apply a thin
layer of  Right Stuff gasket goop to the entire gasket on both sides.
I let it dry overnight. then I put a very thin coat of right stuff on
the block (so thin it's transparent) and assemble.

Of course at the track when you have to pull a head and replace a
sleeve all this goes to hell, and I just use a copper wire o-ring and
lots of goop except where it might block the oil hole. I do the hot
glue circle there to hold the goop away from the hole. I have a
couple of composite gaskets in the parts kit for extreme
circumstances, but I never expect them to last more than a race
weekend or two because the fire ring protrudes into the liner eyebrow
that all my liners have  for unshrouding the intake valve.