fot

RE: [FOT] Rallymasters Film - TR7V8 Footage

To: <Group44TR7@aol.com>, <macdonaldp@rogers.com>,
Subject: RE: [FOT] Rallymasters Film - TR7V8 Footage
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:12:00 -0700
Cary:

I was at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb that year, although not as a
competitor.  It was great to know the TR8 was running, although the buzz
around the paddock was that Woodner was running it because it had
already been fully depreciated on the books, so there was nothing to
lose if it got bent.

When it came in after the crash and got loaded on the trailer, I was
trying to work up the nerve to make an offer on the car as it was, as it
seemed to be the only chance of landing a factory car at a reasonable
price.

Bank balance and shyness won out over avarice and I walked away without
talking to anyone.

It was a very memorable event for me though, being the first year that
the hillclimb was opened to Pro Rally cars, hence Woodner entering the
TR8.

The same day, there was a big street parade in the town of Monument a
few miles away. The town was hosting a National Pro Rally in a few
months time, so the organizer of the event asked that any rally cars
that weren't running the hill climb be available for the parade.

So I did my civic duty idling along behind the marching bands with 3 or
4 other low budget owners, blipping the throttle once in a while in time
to the music.

Afterwards, I headed up to the hill in time to chauffeur Satch Carlson
down to the Mini Mart to buy Heinekens.

His comment about the performance of my rally car is forever imprinted
in my mind.

"It is slow, isn't it"

Well, what do you expect from a Pro Rally Austin Marina?

Kelvin Dodd