fot

Re: [FOT] Data acquisition

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Data acquisition
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:24:23 -0700
A little more about this--you can map a track by driving around the
inside and outside edges. the GPS locates you with great accuracy. It
will even do three dimensions if you have more than three satellites
acquired. Speed is measured by the GPS, as well as location on the
track. It can automatically set corner and straight sections by
acceleration, or you can rename them and specify location. You can
time laps without a beacon--just tell the system where start/finish
is. Works for autocross too. I can definately see a bunch of people
sharing one of these. You can compare your lap data to anyone elses
or to any prior lap. There's a fair number of track maps on the
website, but none for the tracks I run on regularly--I'll fix that
soon enough.

It's pretty automatic, you can tell the system to start logging data
at any preset speed, and it keeps logging as long as you keep driving
fast. The coolest part so far is seeing the effect of slightly
different lines on segment speed and overall lap time. I screwed up
one corner on a ten lap run and I could see exactly where I screwed
up and why.

Should be invaluable for tire setups and corner analysis.