fot

[FOT] TR4 Weber linkage with tubular headers

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] TR4 Weber linkage with tubular headers
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:33:03 -0400
Amici,
My TR4 has tubular headers which interfere with the linkage I planned for
the dual Webers with Canon manifolds.  The manifolds have a boss on top to
support a shaft and linkage to drive the butterflies; the rear manifold has
a boss underneath to support a bellcrank.  The setup is similar to the Moss
setup at
<http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29794&SortOrder=1>
I planned to use a bellcrank under the carbs to translate horizontal
accelerator arm motion to vertical to pull on an arm on the shaft mounted
above the carbs.  Problem is, one tube of the headers interferes with the
bellcrank, so I only have about 1/4" travel.  Fine if I don't want speeding
tickets, but no fun to drive.

Plan B is to fabricate a cable, perhaps from bicycle cable parts, but I'll
have to fabricate a support tube to ensure that the cable pulls straight
down.  And of course add a return spring for safety.

Plan C is to fabricate a spacer to stand off the the bellcrank from the
manifold mounting boss by about 1.2", which should clear the manifold, and
rely on the heim joints to accommodate all the angular mismatches.

Anyone have suggestions for a better installation?

TIA

Jim
--
Jim Hassall