fot

Re: [FOT] GT6 brake upgrade

To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>, <tr6nut@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] GT6 brake upgrade
From: "David Talbott" <dtalbott@archrepro.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:05:21 -0700
I have long assumed that the advantage of the front disc and rotor upgrades is
primarily their consistency, along with better pedal modulation and feel -
rather than much of a  quantifiable decrease in braking distances.  Especially
with skinny vintage tires, the limiting factor is usually the tire patch.
Most any system will work well enough to skid the tires, at least for the
first few stops.  With proper ducting, brake fluids, etc. most original
systems will even do this well enough for a 30 minute race, assuming that you
are not talking about too many pounds and too many horses.

Along those lines it follows that the biggest decrease in braking distance
comes from getting the tire patches at the stern to do more work. That becomes
more problematic when you are not just doing straight line braking for a test,
i.e. when you are carrying some braking effort past your turn-in point.
That's the beauty of cockpit adjustable brake biasing, especially when you are
running rear drums that tend to lose effectiveness over the course of 30
minutes as the drum heats up and gets larger while the lining wears away and
gets smaller.

DT

David Talbott, President
Architectural Reproductions, Inc.