fot

Re: Subject: [FOT] Locking Diffs

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Subject: [FOT] Locking Diffs
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 01:06:08 EDT
Joe(B) & FOT,

The only time that I had a problem with my TR3 Detroit Locker(s) was when GM
reformulated the special oil that they made for this (dog) type of Detroit
Locker,
when the use of whale oils was outlawed.

 Kas had specified the original GM part # in his prep book, and it worked
very well
until GM changet the formula
The new stuff was thinner, and I had a very used Locker fail, and a few races
later,
a factory fresh one went 1 wheel drive.

I switched to thick axle oil to cushion the dog shock, and never had another
failure.
These units do not like thin oils; try 85/140 or Redline heavy shockproof.

The crack where the ring gear ID sits is a known issue; I have caught it
before failure.

Hardy

In a message dated 9/14/2006 7:42:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,