fot

Re: [Fot] TR 4 Differentials

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR 4 Differentials
From: "Marx Christian tr4-racing" <chris@tr4-racing.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:23:44 +0100
Oh yes, at beginning 2005 I had this "handbrake to one wheel" solution.
It did work very well and is a real gain in out of corner speed.
You can can go flat out on the throttle and control the drift and speed with
the handbrake like the modern traction control does. Only disadvantage: One
hand at the steering wheel on right handers.
To make it more easy handling the handbrake on my early TR 4 I added a rope to
the lever.
Did make the other drivers wonder what this rope is needed for...always nice
to confuse others... ,-)

I said good bye to that solution when my diff failed again. The spider shaft
has worn again and started to move out of the cage just 3 days before the
oncoming race event. So to rescue the diff and make the car run again I welded
it.
I was very concerned about how the car would perform.

The first practise session I was broad sliding the car. I adjusted the setup
several times but after I could move forward...from 27th position to 12th and
I missed the classwin by 5 meters.

Since then I have a very well balanced car, less tire wear and very stable
braking.

The only disadvantage: When I use the car as daily driver I hopp a little
round sharp corners...

Chris

> That one wheel method really works great when you have  regulations that do
> not allow other methods of reducing the wheel spin. That was the case when
> was racing the TR-3, no diff modifications allowed or replacement parts.
That