fot

Re: [Fot] Triumph Values From A Retorers Point of View

To: RACER BUD <budscars@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Triumph Values From A Retorers Point of View
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:03:30 -0800
I think where the "demographics" theory doesn't fit entirely...  as in
Racer Bud's post...   where teens are into old muscle cars... Is that in
some cases... it's not about reminiscing about the car people had in
their teens... it may very well be about the fond memories of WORKING on
collector cars with their dads.... or while hanging out at the garage of
a neighbor, friend's dad, relative etc, that worked on their car...  On
top of that... If a young person gets hooked on the mechanics... nothing
beats the older cars...as they don't have to deal with all the modern
electronics, computers, smog equipment, etc.

That said, it sure seems to me like less and less people are tinkering
to the extent that we, as a society, have in the past.... so that
influence may start to fade also...  Why hang out in the garage with dad
when you can play Nintendo?

The biggest "threat", it seems to me, to the value of some of these
cars, such as the 60's muscle cars... is cars like the Mustang...   I
test drove a Mustang a few weeks back... and I have to say... it took me
back to a mustang I once owned... and my brother's Mach I....   It felt
very similar... even somewhat "tinny"...    (not all solid and quiet
like some modern cars)...    When I look at the price of 60's Mustang...
and one of these new ones... that certainly have the flair of the old
ones... (but certainly aren't the same...)...  I have to say... I'm
tempted by the new car...  rather than diving back into an old Mustang...

Of course, in my case...   I figure I have old Triumphs to keep the
grease under my nails... so it would be easier for me to choose a modern
Mustang over an ol' classic, because I already have my hands full.

I've talked about selling my TR4A, now that I've acquired a TR2... but
if I can hang on to the TR4A, I will... I'm confident that it's a very
good investment...   that I can actually drive... rather than just look
at in my portfolio.

--Justin