fot

Re: [Fot] Cutting Aeroquip Hoses..

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Cutting Aeroquip Hoses..
From: <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:02:32 +0000
>The braided SS fuel hoses on the car were cut to length with a hack-saw.
>Then, the prickly ends were wrapped in a few loops of black tape.  Over
>that goes a hose clamp.  When I shop around online for Aeroquip tubing
>and fittings, all the ends available seem to be THREADED fittings.  Is
>there a more elegant solution to clamp the ends onto the SU carb
>fuel-input pipes than the hack saw, tape, hose clamp method?

   I converted my old street TR4 to Aeroquip lines with AN fittings.
Intially, I use the hose clamps to
   hold the line on the carbs.This wasn't a good solution. The Aeroquipped
line wasn't as flexible as
   the rubber hose and caused one of the brass fittings on the float bowl
lid to fatigue and break. It
   was the only time in 17 years my `4 didn't get me home. Fortunately, I
was just across town. I
   had a local machine shop weld aluminum AN fittings on the carbs. From
then on it was "plain
   sailing'.

   OBTW, you can use a Dremel tool cut off wheel to get through the braid,
then any good utility
   knife will get you through the "rubber". The Dremel will give you a
cleaner cut with less "prickly
   bits"

   YMMV

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois