fot

Re: [Fot] Overdrive issue

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Overdrive issue
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:23:35 -0500
I thought you might be interested in my continuing OD saga.

Thanks to all for the excellent advice!  I took the OD mostly apart
and documented my findings on the overdrive page I created:
http://www.tonydrews.com/Overdrive/overdrive_problem.htm

What's amazing is that the OD worked just fine at the last race.  If
you look at the pictures on my OD page, you'll be amazed that it
worked at all (I was anyway).

Also, Randall sent me a PDF of the Laycock A-type overdrive manual,
so I posted it on that same web page, along with links to Larry's
excellent tranny and OD articles.

- Tony Drews

At 10:10 PM 3/30/2007, Tony Drews wrote:
>    I  drained  the  oil  from  my tranny and found a couple of disturbing
>    pieces in the oil.  They are from the overdrive.  With Larry's rebuild
>    instructions in hand, I ordered the parts that looked likely.  Earlier
>    this  evening  I  took  the  overdrive  off of the tranny to begin the
>    process  of  replacing  those  thrust  washers.   However, the problem
>    wasn't  what  I thought it would be.  It turns out that there's a "top
>    hat" bushing in the "pump housing" that the eccentric that runs the OD
>    oil  pump  rests  against.   You  can  see it in the background of the
>    exploded diagrams of the factory manual and Moss catalogs, but there's
>    no  little  number  and  arrow pointing to it.  There's no part number
>    listed with Moss for it.
>    I've  got  pictures  of the OD / broken part and of another OD with an
>    intact part in it on my website at
>    http://www.tonydrews.com/Overdrive/overdrive_problem.htm .

<snip>