fot

Re: [Fot] Overdrive issue

To: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Overdrive issue
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:53:18 -0500
Tony,
We were out racing at Hallett this weekend, so this is the first chance
I've had to check emails.

I've only been into about half a dozen overdrives, and I have never seen
a problem with that top hat bushing.  Sometimes they are fairly loose in
the housing.  I would just replace it with one from your spare.  You
might want to use a little sleeve retainer to make sure it doesn't turn
in the alumimium housing.  Your other problems I've seen before.  The
washer under the sun gear is almost always broken.  It is interesting
that the original overdrive manual says to have a sun gear  float of
0.014 to 0.020, while later manuals say to use 0.008 to 0.014.  These
numbers don't even overlap.  I've wondered whether they changed it to
help reduce the impact on that washer and alleviate the breakage.   I
found a lot of inconsistencies like this when I was doing those
articles, so be careful which manual you pick up.  You should have no
problem replacing all these parts.  You'll have to take one of the
planet gears off to replace the thrust washer, but that is not a big
deal.  I agree, it is amazing that it was still working.

Do you have a overdrive pressure gauge?  Do you have a large or small
accumulator.  The large accumulators are best for racing.  You can check
the pressure with a good half inch drill motor and the pressure gauge.
I've got mine set up to run about 530 psi with a large accumulator.
I've heard other people go up to  600 or 650 psi, but I really don't
think that is necessary. I really get a kick in the pants when I shift mine.
Larry