fot

[Fot] Tappet talk

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Tappet talk
From: "Marx Christian tr4-racing" <chris@tr4-racing.de>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:45:56 +0200
I want to bring that up again because I have some news about.

I've installed a new cam and tappets last year and now some of the tappets
don't look good and one is damaged.

I had a talk with a famous German cam manufacturer (Schrick) and they say that
tappets should be very slightly domed to handle geometrical imperfections. You
can run flat but it is better to have a dome less than 0.002mm (0.000079").
If the cam has a taper grind then you can have a dome of 0.004mm (0.000157")

The tappets on the market seems to have 0.007mm (0.00275") dome which could be
too much and a cause to cam failures. Depends on the cam if there is a taper
grind on.
So I think the better idea is to grind them flat and give them a slight dome
by hand on a lathe with fine sandpaper....

Cheers
Chris