fot

[Fot] my TR4A is ill.

To: "FOT List" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] my TR4A is ill.
From: "Kramer, Robert" <RKramer@rdoequipment.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 08:54:04 -0500
Bad news from Texas. After a distressing weekend working on the car I
had to make a decision not to take the car. I thought I had fixed a
problem that showed up after I blew a head gasket tha last time out at
TWS. After that I found that all 4 intake valves had stuck and that the
reason I was blowing head gaskets was worn out threads in the head stud
holes. After I replaced the threads with Timeserts on the 6 holes on the
top of the block I restarted the car and found it to be very noisy.
After a protracted diagnosis I found that the camshaft was bad with a
lot of excess end float. So I replaced this obviously bad part and
readied the car in other ways for the race. When I started the engine
after replacing the camshaft it sounded pretty good but was a little
noisy. The noise would go away over 2000 RPM. The next time I started
it, this past Saturday it was even noisier. I replaced the oil since it
still had some water in it but that didn't help. After pulling the head
again and rechecking all that I can check it still sounds the same. I
should have pulled a piston when I had the head off. So after all that
it looks like I had more than one problem and the camshaft wasn't the
only cause of the noise. At this point I'm thinking I damaged the
piston/wrist pin bore when it overheated at TWS. I don't have the time
left, or the parts to fix that. It is possible that it is just piston
slap which might not lead to a catotrophic failure, but I don't want to
take that chance. Net result I'm not bringing the car. I am very bummed.

I had a crew of 4 coming with me. I think there is a good chance that we
still might make the trip just to come watch. Does anyone have spare
crew passes?

Bob Kramer
Sales Manager
RDO Equipment Co.