fot

Re: [Fot] GOOD HISTORICAL NEWS

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, fot@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [Fot] GOOD HISTORICAL NEWS
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 08:37:29 EDT
Jack & FoT,

INCREDIBLE NEWS!!!!

Larry Rossi is actual from near Stowe, Vermont.

It was a conversation with Kas that led me to pose the questions about it's
provenance. After telling Kas a little bit about the history of the
Spencer/Rossi/Files TR4, Kas suggested that this 'might' be a Sebring car, as
Spencer
took possession of one or two of the Sebring cars.

Certainly all of FoT can be excited about the find and uncovering of such a
historical car.

Since Keith is here in the US to race his "SEBRING" TR4 and Kas & Peg are
currently en route to join us, it makes it all the more sweet.

Kas will be able to make the final inspection at this time.

Yee ha!

Joe Alexander

> As you may all recall, Keith Files of the UK purchased a Triumph TR4
> to go racing in the USA. Joe Alexander found a car for him in
> Connecticut, previously owned by Larry Rossi. The car had been a race
> car from new.
>
> The paperwork that came with the car indicated that it was purchased
> by Jim Spencer from a holding company in 1963. Spencer was a driver
> for Kastner in the 60's, including Sebring. The records from Heritage
> showed that it was delivered to L. A. Sportscars, the source of all
> of Kas' cars, at the right time for this to be true. We hoped that
> this was a genuine Sebring car and kept looking for the missing link
> that would prove it.
>
> We attempted to make the final connection, with help from friends on
> the FOT and Triumph lists. Then Kas found a photograph of the
> underhood area of those cars. It clearly showed that the oil cooler
> line ran across the inner LH fender and was secured by an Audel clamp
> bolted to the inner fender. Alas, no hole in this car. Disappointment.
>
> Last night, however, with the owner Keith Files and Jon Wood here,
> getting ready for MOTRAH at Road America, Jon examined the fender
> more closely. There HAD BEEN a hole there, in exactly the right spot,
> and it had been welded and ground off. This isn't apparent in the
> engine compartment, but is obvious inside the wheel well, where the
> welder didn't take as much care in grinding off the weld.
>
> BINGO! This made the little hairs on the back of my neck stand right
> straight up.
>
> We feel that this find, along with the paper trail, indicates that
> Keith's car really is one of the actual Sebring cars raced by the
> Kastner team at Sebring! Congratulations, Keith, and thanks to all
> who helped with this search.
>
> uncle jack

   </HTML>