fot

[Fot] Front suspension question

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Front suspension question
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:27:36 -0400
Is the shock tower on a TR4 the same as a TR3?

During the Pursuit Race at MORTAH, the track conditions were between
damp and wet. Coming into Canada Corner I braked but the wheels didn't
really have any grip, so I went hard across the rumble strip into the
gravel trap.

The good news is I grabbed first gear, hooked the car around and drove
out of the gravel, and proceeded to win the race. Even held off a Morgan
+8 in a classic drag up the hill to the checker!

The bad news is I wounded the car. I thought I knocked the front end out
a bit, but it turns out I ripped the front suspension out of the car.
Twisted the shock tower, buckled the brace. No wonder the car wouldn't
turn right...

Had the car down to my fabricator this morning, he wasn't too upset with
what he saw. The plan is to convert the left side to the 4A-6 style
lower a-arm to frame attachment, hence yesterday's post for the
brackets. But he wants to chop off my twisted turret (shock tower) and
replace it with a straight one. I have one from a TR3, but I don't have
a TR4 frame sitting around to compare it to.

Thanks.