fot

Re: [Fot] Video for in car filming

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Video for in car filming
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 07:15:01 -0500
I had a PVR with a hard drive that I tried using for recording.  I
had similar luck.  I took it back and replaced it with a DV Camcorder
(Sony).  That one works flawlessly.  From what I understand, you
either need a solid state device (uses big SD card instead of hard
drive), or something that uses tape - the units that record to hard
drive or DVD are reputed to have problems with vibration.

I use a lipstick camera that feeds into the camcorder.  If you record
with the camcorder directly (no external camera), I've found that a
really solid mount helps reduce (but not eliminate) camera shake.

Another potential to think about: I've seen high powered ignition
system kill camcorders.  If you've got the camera mounted to the
front of the car, it's possible that the ignition noise when you rev
it up has a detrimental effect.

- Tony Drews