fot

Re: [Fot] [FOT] Sanding brake pads?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] [FOT] Sanding brake pads?
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 08:07:03 -0400
Sender: fot-bounces+fot-archive=autox.team.net@autox.team.net
My guess on this is if the pads were used, and you were putting new,
refaced or different rotors on you might get some benefit from touching
up the pads with sandpaper. Perhaps there could be some benefit from
breaking any glaze or removing any surface irregularities that the old
rotor cut into the pad. But new pads on new rotors I really can't see
any benefit at all. Joe B just posted the facts on the degassing of the
pads. That is what you are trying to accomplish, and heat is the only
way that happens.

If you are unwilling to drive the car to bed the pads there is always
the technique where you hook your race car up to your tow vehicle and
have your wife pull you up the street while you stomp the brake pedal.
To paraphrase a well known, successful Triumph speed wizard, "That is
either brilliant, or the stupidest thing I ever heard."

Last I heard, the jury is still out on that one!  :-)