fot

Re: [Fot] Sanding brake pads?

To: jim hearn <jimhearn1@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sanding brake pads?
From: Glenn Franco <gaf3@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 17:12:44 -0400
jim hearn wrote:
> On my '74 TR6 used right now for autocross, I am changing front rotors and
> putting in new pads.  Since this car is not a driver and I tow it to event,
> the pads will be brand spanking new for my next autocross event.  I have
> read about sanding the pads.  Is there any particular grit or technique?  If
> not, I guess I'll use something like 100 grit and just touch the face up a
> little.
>
> This is my first post.  Thanks for having me.  I've enjoyed the posts and
> look forward to lots of correspondence as I try to keep my one time SCCA
> club racer TR6 as active as possible.  Jim
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
>name of winmail.dat]

Jim
Sanding the brake pads or rotors will do the opposite of what you are
trying to achieve.
Typically burnishing or bedding the brakes requires a series of moderate
brake stops (.3g @ ~ 30-35 mph) with some cooling time in between.
On a vehicle driven on the street this can occur during normal (moderate
driving).
I use to have pads and rotors pre burnished on a brake dyno before
driving events (if you know someone in the brake business this can be done).
Part of the burnishing or bedding process involves setting up a transfer
layer of material ( from the pads) on the rotors.

For your purpose I would find a deserted parking lot and do a series of
hard brake stops with adequate cooling time in between (drive around to
cool).
It shouldn't take more that 6-12 stops to do it.

Good Luck

Glenn Franco
72 Spitfire Race Car (75% complete)
Too many other TR's