fot

Re: [Fot] TR3 main seal question

To: "Steve Belfer" <colordog.1@earthlink.net>, "Friends of Triumph"
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3 main seal question
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 14:02:44 -0500
That's a "scroll seal".  The grooves in the crank spiral from the
flywheel toward the inside of the block.  The theory, as I understand
it, is it will sling the oil back into the block.  If you get the
aluminum halves really close to the crank, it kinda works too.  The
common modification is to get the rubber seal kit from BFE or Moss
(maybe British Parts Northwest ?).  In order to use that kit, you
need to have the scroll seal machined off of the crank so it's a nice
flat surface of the correct diameter.  Then the aluminum halves are
machined to fit a relatively normal seal.  I believe the machined
housings come with the kit.  But, it's a split seal so you can get it
around the crank.  It's still not a perfect solution and is a bit
finicky to get to seal.

Cambridge sells a crankshaft and flywheel where the whole flange at
the end of the crank is not there.  The seal diameter continues to
the end of the crank.  That allows you to slip a normal seal over the
end of the crank and make it really stop leaking (at least from the rear main).

I just test the oil puddle under the drain hole in the bellhousing
every so often to see if it's motor oil or tranny fluid.  (stick a
finger in it, rub it together, smell it for the gear lube sulfur
smell)  If it's motor oil, and the puddle isn't too big, I figure all is OK.

- Tony Drews