fot

Re: [Fot] TR3 main seal question

To: "Steve Belfer" <colordog.1@earthlink.net>, "Friends of Triumph"
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3 main seal question
From: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:43:15 -0700
Actually you are looking at the source of many of those leaky Triumph jokes.
Scroll seals, also called Labyrinth seals, work adequately on huge steam
engines where there are scavenging pumps and oil/water separators between the
seal segments but not so well on little four bangers with a wimpy drain pipe
back to the crankcase (which has big variations in crankcase pressure).

As others have said, you can get the scroll machined off and replace the silly
thing with a somewhat compromised neoprene seal. these work better if you
increase the spring pressure by shortening the innner spring a few turns. It's
a worthwhile modification, all the steel cranks eliminate the scroll seal and
use either a split seal or an unflanged end piece.