fot

[Fot] Excessive oil temps

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Excessive oil temps
From: "Kramer, Robert" <RKramer@rdoequipment.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:20:29 -0500
While I'm at it I might as well ask opinions from the list of my latest
malady. This past weekend, when I wasn't spinning in my own oil (home
made Accusump line shooting oil at the LF tire), I was suffering through
a couple of problems that I think are related to oil cooling. I
struggled with hot engine restarts all weekend and since it was 95
degrees with at least that much humidity, that meant every time after
the first start-up in the morning. What happened first was the HS6
pistons and float jets were sticky. I replaced the jets with Grose jets
and it got better but I noticed how hot the bowls were and that the
pistons would bounce up and down and then stick down. During the Sunday
mid day session I had to come off the track with excessive oil temps and
a resulting drop in oil pressure. The water temp was 180 thanks to the
aluminum radiator. I surmise that I failed to bleed out the air in the
system on my fresh rebuild and the water wasn't circulating properly
around the block. Does this sound reasonable? With the weather we were
having and a late schedule I packed in in early and I haven't done work
on it yet.

Bob Kramer
Sales Manager
RDO Equipment Co.