fot

Re: [Fot] Transmission for racing GT6+

To: igofaster@charter.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Transmission for racing GT6+
From: Jay Creel <jaxonracing@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:58:20 -0700 (PDT)
Bobby,

  Welcome to the list.  There is a guy up here in CT by the name of John
Esposito, Quantum Mechanics is the name of his business, and he builds-rebuilds
GT-6 boxes using TR7 internal parts. From what I understand, all is pretty much
the same except the TR7 parts are much "beefier".  I can get you his number if
you are interested. He has rebuilt my GT-6 box for my racing spit (SCCA) though
I did not go with the TR7 bits, as I am going towards a dog-box in the future.

  Jay R. Creel

igofaster@charter.net wrote:
  Hello! I'm new to the forum, invited by Bob Kramer. I'm a longtime Triumph
friend. I purchased this year the GT6 built by Bob Davis in central Florida.
Way nice race preparred GT6, Bob Kramer can attest. My dilema is Mr. Davis did
a heck of a job with the Toyota T5 gearbox conversion on the GT6. Recently with
CVAR in Texas I enrolled in the driving school at TWS with the GT6. CVAR will
allow me to continue for a short time to participate on a no points basis but I
must return the Triumph to an appropriate gearbox. I'm open to suggestions.
I've always felt the gearbox in the GT6's were soft at best. I had a TR6
gearbox I attempted to install at one time but looked like the frame would have
to be cut and modified. I have a nice 1969 with an overdrive transmission, not
sure if that is the answer. I only used 5th gear at TWS on the staightaway past
the finish line and in the cooldown lap. The diff is the 3.73 (I think) locked.
looking foward to the input...
kindest regards,
Bobby Whitehead
1970 GT6+ #33