fot

Re: [Fot] New Triumph by BMW ?

To: mlcooknj@msn.com, billb@bnj.com, S.Janzen@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] New Triumph by BMW ?
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:06:07 EDT
In a message dated 10/11/2007 11:01:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mlcooknj@msn.com writes:

I think I have said this before but ....

There is no commercial  sense in BMW trying to launch a new Triumph sports
car.
If it is to be like  the originals, "affordable," the potential sales volume
could not possibly  justify the development cost.

==AM==
Probably true. But then, what price level is considered "affordable"
nowadays?
==AM==

The potential customers for such a car have probably never heard of  Triumph
or
MG.

==AM==
Also probably true. On the other hand, BMW deserves credit for brilliant
marketing in the US, where -- realistically speaking -- more people likely
remembered the Hudson Jet or the Henry J than remembered the original Mini.
;-) At
the same time, Mazda did an equally brilliant job of reviving the
"affordable sports car," in part by capitalizing on the memories of TRs and
Spitfires
and MGBs, etc. But that was nearly 20 years ago, when memories of  such cars
were fresher.
==AM==

BMW already has a range of sports models.

==AM==
Yes, but I'm not sure any of them could be considered "affordable" in the
same way that Triumphs were. If BMW were to bring back Triumph, I imagine it
will be much more upmarket, the way the MINI is at least in the US. (Sadly, we
don't get any of the more basic levels of MINI here. Too bad, since that means
 a brand-new MINI likely will never be in my price  range.)

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and  Triumph Herald
Database: _http://triumph-herald.us_ (http://triumph-herald.us/)