fot

Re: [Fot] Driving to the track in the race car

To: chris@tr4-racing.de
Subject: Re: [Fot] Driving to the track in the race car
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 07:26:23 -0600
Driving your racecar to the track gives you a different mind set at the
event, you can break your ride home. Trailering gives more peace of mind,
knowing if you break it, you can still get home. I generally drove my car
to vintage races. Once in a snow storm with no heat or wipers.

Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing, has a member who last year celebrated his
100th RMVR event as a driver. Bill Miller drives his almost original,
stock, as delivered, Shelby GT-350 H to & from events. Packs everything
he needs for the weekend in it, including Gerry Cans of fuel. This
summer, he drove it from Denver to Miller MSP in Utah. He ONLY runs it on
race fuel, so no just stopping at the Mini-Mart. That 100 events does NOT
include the about half again that many other events & track days he & his
steed have participated in. I believe he has been towed home twice, in
all that time.

Chek Beuf, an original owner of an original 427 Cobra, used to drive it,
on race slicks, to the track.
We had several appearances by a TR-3 which pulled a trailer with its race
tyres & support materials.
Original owner of  an original Porsche 912 (looking like it just came off
the showroom floor), has been driving to & from the track for years now.
My car broke in Steamboat one year, Clive Averill loaded my car on his
trailer and I drove his GT-6 back to Denver (you cannot believe how good
that 2 litre six sounds at full chat, with no muffler, in the Johnson
tunnel!).

RMVR has an Historic Group, that encourages entries that are more what
the factory produced, not what can be built from the catalogs. We have
the Danny Colins Cup award, for that group. Points are awarded for
driving To & From the track.

If the point of the exercise is to recreate, reenact, racing from earlier
years, we would drive to & from the track, time with analog stop watches.
Like that's going to happen.

Bill
70 GT-6+