fot

Re: [Fot] Do tire temperatures tell most of the tire pressure story?

To: "jim hearn" <jimhearn1@comcast.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Do tire temperatures tell most of the tire pressure story?
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:19:22 -0700
Jim,
A lot of it is determined by the tires themselves.  When I was doing heavy
SCCA autocross on slicks, I was running pressures around 20 psi all around.
You will know if the pressure is incorrect if you are getting a variance of
temperature across the tread.  If the temps are higher on the inside than on
the outside, reduce the pressuer until it is even.  Conversely, if you are
getting higher temps on the edges, you shoule raise the pressure.

Street tires are a bit dirrerent in that unless you are running higher than
normal pressures, you might get rolling of the edges.  So check the wear on
the sidewalls and if it is obvious that the tires are rolling over, you will
have to raise the pressure to compensate even if your temperature readings
say otherwise.

One other thing that will cause temperature variences back to front is how
the car is working.  If you are throwing it heavily into turns it will cause
therears to slide and increase the temp.  Front tires work more naturally in
turns than rears so higher temps are likely.

I hope this helps.

Joe C.