fot

Re: [Fot] Spitfire mixture needles

To: REK46@aol.com, WEmery7451@aol.com, gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire mixture needles
From: EDWARD BARNARD <edwardbarnard@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:11:31 -0700 (PDT)
Don't forget...octane was measured differently back then (RON). Also note that
octane ratings here in the states average 4 or 5 points below Europe because
they use the RON rating while we average the RON and MON. Their 97 equals our
high test or medium grade depending on who's European gas your buying. - Ed

REK46@aol.com wrote:  The MkIII owners manual says that the engine is designed
to operate on fuels having  a min oct rating of 97(Research Method)..Using
fuels of this type or higher,the static timing should be 6 degs B.T.D.C...if
these fuels are not available,or lower,you should retard the ign timing just
sufficient enuf to prevent pinging.....also be sure the float levels are correct