fot

Re: [Fot] Speedie sleeves

To: "Kramer, Robert" <RKramer@rdoequipment.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Speedie sleeves
From: greg <gtlund@cyberspeedway.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:13:04 -0700
Bob,
     Using a standard National buna or nitrile seal will not last very
long with gear oil. Nitrile is listed as having "poor resistance to
lubricants containing sulphur or EP additives". Our gear oil has these.
Viton works much better. I suspect the original British Triumph seals
were made from the proper compounds. I have solved many leakage problems
with this one bit of info. I first ran into it with a Mark Williams 9"
diff that would leak after a couple of sessions. Here is a link to
Timken/National.

http://www.timken.com/products/bearings/pdf/NSCInfoSection.pdf

Timken owns the National industrial seals division. Look for section 1B.
There is also a good listing of Redisleeves.

P.S. The O-rings on TR transmission shift rails will actually seal if
you use Viton. Anything over 180 degrees F ought to be Viton anyway.
Greg Lund