fot

[Fot] Battery's, Non-TR

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Battery's, Non-TR
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:03:57 EST
Dear FOT,

A battery went dead in one of our Mazdas.  Down through the years when this
would happen, I would pull out the battery, buy another one, and install it.
This time, I was in a hurry and drove the car to an Advanced Auto Parts store
so that they could change out the battery in the parking lot.

I was told to plug a power source into the cigarette lighter socket before
they would disconnect the battery.  They said that if they do not do this, some
Jap cars lock up and have to be towed to a dealer to be reset.  Neither of our
Mazdas have this feature, since I have had the batteries disconnected in both
of them.

Has anybody ever heard of this issue?  If this is true, I believe that it is
the dumbest thing that any manufacturer could design into a vehicle.
Batteries can sometimes disconnect themselves -- corrosion or loose terminals.
Someone could be driving in the middle of nowhere out west, get shut down, and
have
to be towed several hundred miles to a dealer.