fot

Re: [Fot] Laguna Seca

To: BillB@bnj.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Laguna Seca
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:06:20 EST
In a message dated 11/29/2007 9:45:56 AM Central Standard Time, BillB@bnj.com
writes:

> Interesting idea, and I certainly don't think it should work any other way,
> but it does. Ultimately even the most altruistic-seeming politicians and the
> regulators they appoint respond to money or votes. Nothing else. The ones
> who
> don't are back doing what they did before they became politicians. I know
> that
> sounds cynical, but it's obviously true as well.
>
> Tracks don't have a lot of votes, unless someone works hard on their behalf
> garner and organize support. Pissed off homeowners are an automatic vote
> block
> that a politician can harvest by "reasonable"actions like noise constraints,
> or shutting down the track.
>
> End of sad story.

Bill...

You, and many others on the FOT list, will recall Bob Wismer's impressive
monument at Road America.  Originally that monument was to be placed at
Blackhawk
Farms Raceway, where most of Wismer's Sports 2000 races were run.  But at the
time Blackhawk Farms was on VERY thin ice.  In spite of the track's
considerable efforts to be a good neighbor, locals were involved in an effort
to get it
shut down (noise and nuisance).  All indications suggested they would be
successful.  Then the racers got involved in a letter writing effort.  They
pointed out that, in fact, Blackhawk Farms was a little jewel in a pretty bleak
community.  Every week end considerable dollars from outside the community
flowed
into the economy.  Copies were sent to local businesses, and in particular
hotels, restaurants, etc.

The problem went away.

Bill Dentinger