fot

Re: [Fot] Laguna Seca

To: <BillDentin@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Laguna Seca
From: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:04:18 -0800
My point exactly. Portland International Raceway is always under some kind of
fire. It's a city park, and every so often some people who live nearby get a
councilman to explore closing it down "can't something more productive be done
with that land" or some developer starts tossing money and ideas around. Only
one thing stops it--an active group of people who demonstrate clearly that
it's a third rail. In fact you don't die just from touching PIR, you can die
from talking about touching it.

Racetracks and people who care about them should build that group now, not
when they need it. They need to be ready to go before any goofy ideas gather
momentum. It's easy to crush them when they're small. They also need to
demonstrate their power conclusively at least once. Toss some boob out of
office, and make sure everyone knows why it happened. Help somebody that's a
friend of the track get elected. It's a good lesson for the rest of them.

You might gather from my choice of words that I'm a little passionate about
this.