fot

Re: [Fot] TR6 rear Hubs ?

To: "Richard Good" <goodparts@verizon.net>, <spyderweb@uwalumni.com>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 rear Hubs ?
From: "Geoff Byrne" <gkbyrne@optushome.com.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 23:32:35 +1100
FOT
For the benefit of all let me briefly outline our experience in Australia
with this problem. We have had two cars go end over end when the rear hub
broke and the wheel going under the rear body catapulting the car into the
air . Luckly with only minor driver injuries in both case.
I believe the problem can be traced to the hub design with the two piece hub
asemble of an outer axle and hub. The outer bearing is mounted on the hub
and the inner bearing on the axle. The hub and axle are secured by a taper
and key with a nut on the outer end of the axle. It takes 50 ton to pull a
sound hub apart to replace the bearing and i have seem damage done as a
result . If the nut is left on the axle to prevent it flying apart when
under a press the  shock load of it coming apart is taken on the nut and
threaded end of the axle . several failures have occurred due to the axle
breaking at the base of the tread. We have a lot of Triumph saloons in Aus
which have the same rear end and the hubs are interchangeable so a lot of
parts get mixed up over the years . We have also  discovered there are two
different assemblies with different tapers on the axle which only vary by
about 7degrees and can easily be mixed with dire results.
What we did at first was to get a Datsun rear axle assemble and cut the
trailing arm material off the bearing carrier . Turn the outside of the
carrier and machine out the inside of the existing TR hub and press in the
Datsun carrier , the outer faces flush gives correct hub face alignment .
The two were then nickel bronze welded  together ( TIG or stick welding
usually leads to cracking).
The axles need to be shortened ( let me know if you want details on how to
do this properly)and the hand brake cable bracked bolt recessed to complete
the mods.
This arrangement has served sereral of us well for a number of years with no
problem .
I have recently taken this much further . We have had complete hubs machined
and fitted the Datsun axle to them with CV joints both ends and a small
floating axle between the two CVs . This is a much smother drive line
arrangement works very well but  is expensive. The arrangement sounds very
much like Richards Goods product.
My advice is that nobody should be racing an independant rear end TR with
the standard hubs they will fail ... sometime . You simple do not want a hub
assemble where the bearing loads are not on one common member.
Incidently the same problem exists with the GT6 Mkll rear end ( the roto
flex coupling one). They are two piece and fail the same way.  The first
ever GT6 to race in Aus in 1968 flipped at Warwick Farm when the rear hub
broke . I raced a GT6 through the 1970s with special forged one piece hubs.
Big horse power (Kas motor) and big wheels and no problems.
Hope this helps the sharing of info for FOT let me know if anyone would like
more details
Regards
Geoff Byrne
TR6 racer down under