fot

Re: [Fot] Recommendations Needed

To: <GSFuqua1@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Recommendations Needed
From: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:21:30 -0800
I don't know what's available around Branson, it might be worthwhile for you
to take a trip to VIR, they have a well equipped race shop there. Of course
you want to call first and make sure they'll be open.

I really like the Vintage look race suits from Stand 21--they have the Dunlop
blue ones that look great with our period cars. I don't have one yet, but
that's what I'll buy for my next race suit.  If you race in hot weather you
might want to consider one of the new (but expensive) ventilated suits, or go
with a standard three layers suit and spring for a cool suit. Either the type
that pump cold water through a t shirt or the new ones with exothermic
crystals that you stick in a freezer.   For gloves, you want snug, but not as
tight as classic driving gloves, with long forearms to keep your skin covered
even if your suit arms get pulled up a bit by the belt. Shoes--I don't like
the new "sneaker" style driving shoes, I like the boot type with soles as thin
as ballet shoes. Simpsons are fine.

You need a fireproof balaclava under your helmet, socks, and arm restraints
that connect to your seat belt. The arm restraints can be built into your suit
or you can get the loop type that slides on your arms. Make sure you helmet is
current--that you have acceptable snell approval. Motorcycle helmets are not
acceptable. You also need to be a little concerned about wind lift in your
open car (I know you have a TR4--congrats) so you can either get a stick on
whickerbill for the helmet, or buy a helmet that is aerodynamically suitable.
Shoei's have a narrow wind entry and not much lift, though I still use a bill
on mine.

For jugs, the most durable are the heavy square poly jugs. Get a filler hose
that will fit your tank. You probably want at least two, maybe three. You also
need to carry water for the car.

You also need all the usual spares--oil, brake fluid, battery charger, spare
disk pads, etc. Most of this you'll figure out as you go. If your first race
is at a big event there will be vendors for race stuff at the event. You need
to take a couple of classes. Perhaps your local organizing body has
some--these are usually the cheapest and sometimes the best way to get track
time and experience. Take all you can manage before you race.