fot

[Fot] HS6 float bowl cross bolt

To: "FOT List" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] HS6 float bowl cross bolt
From: "Kramer, Robert" <RKramer@rdoequipment.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 15:35:34 -0600
I recently broke an HS6 float bowl retaining bolt. This bolt is a
special 3/8" shoulder with a 1/4" course thread that stops when fully
threaded into the float bowl. I know this now because I determined that
the bolt broke because I had added a lock washer to the mix and the bolt
was not fully threaded into the bowl, leaving some thread unsupported by
a slightly loose float bowl. I didn't have a spare so I tried a simple
1/4" bolt but without the stop I had to tighten it a little tighter than
I wanted resulting in the dreaded foamy fuel syndrome. I was lucky to
find a proper bolt that evening but my backup plan was to use some brass
tubing bushes I found at Lowes over the bolt and fill the cavity with
silicone sealant. In my hunting for a proper shouldered bolt I learned
that some models of HS carburetors have rubber angle adapters where the
TR4A version is a solid piece of aluminum. I am now thinking of
following through on my homemade solution because he silicone would aid
in eliminating vibration radiating through to the float bowl. My
question to the group is that I'm wondering if others have had this
problem?.

BTW, I got black flagged for dumping fuel and avoided a potential fire
with the float bowl suspended by the jet tube and 2 hoses.

Bob Kramer
Sales Manager
RDO Equipment Co.
16415 North IH 35