fot

Re: [Fot] GT6 rear supension query

To: "Terry and Cindy" <roadandtrack@bigpond.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 rear supension query
From: "Scott Janzen" <S.Janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:26:13 -0500
On my GT6 that shaft sits pretty darn close to horizontal. The lower link
that runs forward to the frame on my car has rod ends, giving me a way to
adjust castor/toe, as does the inboard end of the lower wishbone (modified
by being cut short, wtih a nut welded on to thread in a rod end).  Each end
of the leaf spring has a spherical bearing in it, with tubular spacers to
locate it on the bolt.  Spring pressure seems to keep the bearing firmly in
place.
As to the "castor",  my guess is that with the lower locating link pulling
on the front/bottom of the hub, you may get a little toe-in/positive camber
action under hard braking or inside wheel lift or vice versa as a result of
the castor, depending on the arc of all the parts.  Unfortunately with the
leaf spring as the upper link it's really hard to move the suspension
through its motions, though I have tried by jacking up the rear end and by
jacking up one side or the other under the wishbone to mimic suspension
travel.
Hope this helps - if there is a significant inclination I'd say something is
off, though those wishbones don't look very bendable.