fot

Re: [Fot] Fuel Cell Mounting

To: "Allen Washatko" <awashatko@wi.rr.com>, Friends <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Fuel Cell Mounting
From: "Chuck Arnold" <triosan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:21:53 -0800
Allen,
Did not get to the car tonight -- can you believe it snowed in Seattle and
my storage/garage is 20 miles to the east [more snow].  Should be sunny and
warmer tomorrow so I will get you your brake information.

As to the fuel cell -- the best I have seen is how Tony Garmey built
supports to hold a cell in John James's TR4.  He welded triangular plates to
the roll bar extensions that extended to the bolts on the sides of the
cell.  He then bolted the cell to the plates.  His boss flipped a car with a
cell in it once, and the cell tore loose from he kind of straps you have.
They really need to be bolted tight with no slack in the claping.  A roll
over can be real vicious.  I was doing corner work this summer when an RX7
rolled twice sidewards then once end to end.  IT was amazing how much stuff
tore loose.  Very lucky driver given that he ended up upside down,
unconscious, and the muffler had punctured the fuel cell setting it on
fire.  He was lucky because the rear of the car was downhill from him so
flames went away.  And he was directly in front of a corner station.  It was
also amazing to see the skill of the track saftey workers as they cut him
loose from the belts, worked him sidewards and got him out the pasenger
side.  The driver did suffer a mild concussion, a broken arm and smoke
inhalation [the latter being the most serious long term problem].  Still in
all, the safety cage, belts and Hans did there job admirably well.

--
Chuck Arnold