fot

Re: [Fot] checking bearing clearances

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] checking bearing clearances
From: Ed Diehl <mediehljr@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 03:49:08 -0800 (PST)
Hi all, micrometers are very accurate, plastigauge is not!  Cheers, Ed.
Ed Diehl

Joe Boruch <jaboruch@netzero.net> wrote:  The machine shop I use checks the
dimensions with micrometers, but since I
assemble the engine myself I usually double check things with plastigauge. So
far I have not found any discrepancies. Joe(B)

-- "Scott Janzen" wrote:
One builder I know installs the bearings in the rod ends or mains, torques
the
caps and uses an inside micrometer to check bearing clearances before
installing the rods or crank.
Another one swears that method is not sufficient and you have to use
plastigauge.
What says the group?
Fot mailing list
Fot@autox.team.net