fot

Re: [Fot] TR-3 wins NY Times survey

To: "David W. Riddle" <dave@microworks.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR-3 wins NY Times survey
From: John Herrera <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:36:32 -0500
 ELEGANT? Not a word I'd ever have chosen to describe a TR3A. Don't> get me
wrong, as I love them, but....> > ;-)
The definition of elegant from Answers.com:

"Characterized by or exhibiting refined, tasteful beauty of manner, form, or
style."

Well, I probably wouldn't use it either. BUT, the slang use of elegant:

"[common; from mathematical usage] Combining simplicity, power, and a certain
ineffable grace of design. Higher praise than clever, winning, or even
cuspy.

The French aviator, adventurer, and author Antoine de Saint-Exupiry, probably
best known for his classic children's book The Little Prince, was also an
aircraft designer. He gave us perhaps the best definition of engineering
elegance when he said A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when
there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. "

Saint-Ex could have been describing a TR3! Simplicity and power; not much left
to take away from a TR3!

John H.