fot

Re: [Fot] Lifter Reconditioning

To: "John McCue" <slugthemtrhd@suddenlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Lifter Reconditioning
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:08:23 -0700
I was being imprecise saying that a radius isn't proper--most flat
tappets have some spherical crown, but it's a very large radius, and
the best lifters I've found by far for wear on the cam and the lifters
at high RPM (6800 shift point) are the ceramic ones I have in Peyote's
two-year engine, and they have no crown at all--at least none i can
find with a surface plate.

Unfortunately I can't find any more, and I hear they can suddenly
break, but my experience is an engine run hard for two years,
including the fourteen events of the All Aluminum tour, with
absolutely NO wear on the cam and not a mark on the lifters.

I've seen tappets that have been reconditioned with radius that more
like what you see with hydraulic tappets. I think that's a really bad
idea. Given my druthers I'd rather have the completely flat.

On Mar 15, 2008, at 10:20 AM, John McCue wrote:

> That's not what the guys at Huffaker or APT say.  John
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Babcock" <Billb@bnj.com>

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com