fot

Re: [Fot] Lifter Reconditioning

To: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>, Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Lifter Reconditioning
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 17:51:44 -0500
Trying to find a solution to this problem, I recently purchased a
quantity of lifters from each of the major suppliers -- BPNW, Moss,
and TRF. I had eight tappets from each supplier checked for hardness.
I found that none of these suppliers furnish tappetts that are
consistently in the middle 50's, Rockwell C scale.

For example, the eight I had checked from one supplier measured 45,
48, 49, 51, 51, 52, 53, 53. The lowest reading I got on all of the
lifters tested was 30.

In addition, some of us are going to a cam that requires a full
diameter stock lifter. Of the three above suppliers, none of them had
the full diameter face -- all had a chamfer around the contact end of
the lifter that reduced its contact face diameter.

I checked with one heat treat company and they told me that chilled
cast iron cannot be successfully nitrided so it sounds like that is
not a possibility.