fot

[Fot] Need help on remove/install TR3 overdrive

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Need help on remove/install TR3 overdrive
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:54:42 -0500
The input shaft bushing and probably the bearing need replacement on the TR3
transmission which we have in out TR4 racecar (it came with the car).
However, we also have an OD unit (also came with the car).  After talking to
Jack and Tony Drews I learned that the layshaft gears have to be "dropped"
down to get the input shaft out.  Also from talking to them I'd rather not try
the removal and installation of the OD the first time by myself.  I have my
partner, son Ryan, to help but even with four hands I don't think I want to
try this.

So, I'm looking either for some assistance from someone in the area who has
done this or a recommendation for a shop in the area to do this.  I'm not too
keen on taking the unit to the local transmission shop.  I would compensate
anyone who can help for their time and travel, etc.  I have a heated shop and
the tools, just not the knowhow.  But I'd sure like to get the knowhow!
Probably won't be the last time we have to do this!!!

I live in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.  I'm about 1 to 1-1/2 hours from anywhere in
Milwaukee and about 2 to 2-1/2 hours from the north and west Chicago suburbs.
Anyone to the frozen north of me knows where I am.  I am more than willing to
take the unit to someone else's place if that works better.

I'm rebuilding the bottom end and we are planning on the Gingerman race/school
on May 1st, so time is starting to get a little tight.

You can contact me off list if you'd like.

Tim & Ryan Murphy
"Murphy's Law Racing"
1961 TR4 CT511 #317 VSCDA