fot

Re: [Fot] ISHIHARA-JOHNSON CRANK SCRAPERS

To: <N197TR4@cs.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] ISHIHARA-JOHNSON CRANK SCRAPERS
From: "Steven Preiss" <spreiss@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:28:29 +1100
I just pulled the pan on my 3/4 to replace the chronically leaking gasket. The
old gasket was squeezed paper thin and had been stuck to the block with copper
kote. Ugh! Can't remember the last time I came accross that stuff! Manual says
to coat gasket with grease. Any insights, you'all? Must the front seal housing
be removed and cork tabs be replaced as well? The pan flange is quite wavy
when I sight down it, from years of overtightened I reckon. Trying to decide
if its worth it to go at it with a hammer and drift. All used ones are
probably the same. French's alum pans are $500. Would be nice though. Perhaps
could credit the cost of installing an oil cooler?
Found a 3/4"scallop of liner skirt in the bottom of the pan, probably a
castaway from a previously thrown rod, along with a 2" diameter magnet that
looks like a thick washer. It is all chewed up around the edges as if it had
been tossed around and beat on by the rod caps. Lots of magnetic gravel stuck
to the bottom of the pan. Somebodies idea of a cruel joke? Also a pea sized
hunk of solder. The oil pickup screen has a hole on the bottom where it had
been soldered to the armature. Looks like someone tried to patch it with
solder and it came loose. Now a hole right at the point of pickup. Ideas?
Crank end float measures .012. Anyone know where to get oversized thrust
washers? i am feeling overwhelmed!
Many thanks in advance.
Steve P.----- Original Message -----