fot

Re: [Fot] Was Scrapers, now gifts in the oil pan

To: "Steven Preiss" <spreiss@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Was Scrapers, now gifts in the oil pan
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:18:59 -0500
I'm ambivalent about the front block.  If you think it's been
installed for a long time and the cork is hardened it certainly
doesn't hurt to replace the cork but I doubt that's the problem.  It
doesn't take as long as you think to beat the bolt holes back
down.  I do that probably every other rebuild.  Timing cover is the
same deal - just beat that back flat today.  Actually, if you can
dish them a little the other way, they'll pull up nicely when the pan
is tightened.  The pan gasket from Moss or British Parts Northwest is
fine.  Coat it thinly (I use my finger tip to apply) with high temp
rtv silicone on both sides.  I prefer the black version of that "form
a gasket".  One of the oil pan gasket sets (I probably bought it from
Moss) includes the cork for the front block.

The normal source of major leaks is the front seal or the rear main seal.

The stuff in the pan is troubling and probably justifies a complete
disassembly and cleaning.  The oil pick up tube with attached screen
is available from Moss, I think.  Having crap circulate with the oil
cause wear to the inside of the oil pump, to the main bearings, rod
bearings and the crank.  Even with great filters, there are bypass
circuit(s) in the oil filter head that can allow the crap to bypass
the oil filter, unfortunately.

British Parts Northwest sells 0.005 oversize thrust washers - both
sides are 0.005" oversize so it actually takes 0.010 out of the end
float.  You can use half a set of normal thrust washers and half a
set of oversized.  That's what I
did.
http://www.bpnorthwest.com/.sc/ms/dd/TR3-4A--Main%20Engine%20Components/7052/Thrust%20Washer%20Set%20TR3-4A

Also, putting them in backwards is a great way to ruin a crank and block.

Also, my hint for the day...  When installing the cam and timing it
to the crank, be sure you are using the INTAKE lobe instead of the
exhaust lobe.  It turns out that the valves interfere with popup
pistons if you use the exhaust lobe by mistake.  I'll be using
another timing cover gasket and another head gasket tomorrow making
that right.  Luckily they interfered or I wouldn't have figured it
out until after I put the engine in the car.  Sheesh.  And the cam
timing went so quickly - I was feeling like superman.

- Tony