fot

Re: [Fot] OT Milling machine

To: "James McAndrew" <jdment@suddenlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] OT Milling machine
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:48:58 -1000
I like my shoptask machine--combination lathe/mill/drill press. Their
new versions are called the Patriot--funny spin for a chinese machine--
painted red white and blue. That's about the only thing american about
it, but that's the way the world spins. the new version is five grand
and looks a lot nicer than mine. You can add CRC, DRO and ball screw
options and increase the price substantially but not absurdly.

the tooling is very reasonable, and they have about everything. Tapers
are standard so most stuff from other manufacturers works just fine.
It's not a lightweight mini kind of deal. The unit weighs about 1500
pounds, it you put it on a second floor you might want to rope off
underneath it.

On Apr 30, 2008, at 4:02 PM, James McAndrew wrote:

> I need advice from the incredible fund of knowledge of the FOT.
>

> I'm looking into buying a small milling machine (to make small
> prototype
> Triumph parts- okay now I'm back on topic).
>

> I don't need a Bridgeport.
>

> I have 220v single phase in my garage.
>

> What should I get?  Jet? Grizzly? Do I need digital readout? Power
> feed?
>

> Thanks
>
> Jim McAndrew
>
> Tyler, Texas