fot

Re: [Fot] OT Milling machine

To: "WILLIAM TOBIN" <william.tobin3@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] OT Milling machine
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:20:30 -1000
I agree that the american or german made machines are worth the bucks
and better used than the chinese stuff is new, but I've found this
shoptask machine to be pretty handy for my middling skills--the little
I remember from machine shop class in High School reinforced with a
bunch of skimmed books. I think it takes about three years of serious
effort to be a machinist of any quality and ten years and some talent
before you really know what you're doing.

Used to be a lot of used good machinery around, and I had a friend
that sold the stuff. When I finally had space to put together a
machine shop he was out of biz--told me the sources of used equipment
had pretty much dried up and the available stuff was junk. Kind of
makes sense--when every little town had a machine shop the equipment
moved around a lot. Most of those small shops are gone, and the gear
serious people buy today is for lights out machining. When one of
those operations goes BK there's nothing us regular folks can use.

I spent a lot of time perusing eBay and other sources before I bought
my shoptask. I gave up.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com