fot

[Fot] Pedistal studs

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: [Fot] Pedistal studs
From: "BFEKen@copper.net" <bfeken@copper.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 18:21:28 -0700
Jack, We have been dealing with the pedestal stud problem for some years. It
started with the first high lift & very radical cams & after an extensive
investigation we found that the pedestals rocked back & forth
when the nuts were torque to about 25-30 ft-lbs. We first used grade
8 studs from Bowman, but as the stud torque remained at 25-30 ft-lbs
we still had problems. A chance call to Pete Cox revealed that the brits
did not have grade 8 studs, but had increased the torque to 40psi & that
the problem had just about been solved. After we supplied them with
grade 8 studs & they secured them with mini head nuts the problem was
gone.
We had ARP supply us with some special studs & the Brits used Mini
head nuts torque to 60 ft-pounds. To prevent the studs from unscrewing we put
them in with locktite.
 We have been supplying western racers with the kits , including the
mini head nuts for   $80.00. for several years & no failures. I am still a
bit shy about 60 ft-lbs & have been using 45 ft-lbs & locktite

Ken
British Frame & Engine