fot

Re: [Fot] Cost of diesel [was Oil - Since Triumphs Drip...]

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Cost of diesel [was Oil - Since Triumphs Drip...]
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:59:12 -0700
The ballpark calculation of Diesel vs. Gas for towing generally goes
something like this: I get 14 MPG towing a heavy race car trailer with
my F350 and 9 MPG or less with my Yukon Denali. Diesel has to be
nearly twice as expensive to deliver the same cost per mile. Around
town with no tow my F350 gets 16 MPG, so I don't use it unless I need
to carry something. My 360 spider gets 22MPG on average and delivers
about 400 TPG (thrills per gallon). My FZ1 Yamaha gets a little over
50MPG and my FJR1200 gets a little over 39. I'm riding the FZ a lot
these days. My Honda CA95 (1962 150 Dream) gets over 75 MPG but I look
like a complete dork driving it.

If you really want to avoid using gas, start pumping pedals or get an
electric bicycle. Or a Honda step through. Those little  and very
light four strokes from the sixties get over 100MPG. If you have any
environmental conscience to speak of it's tough to justify a two
stroke scooter--they emit more emission products than a small fleet of
SUV's

On Jun 5, 2008, at 9:41 AM, Joe Curry wrote:

> I have to admit that I was not aware of the change and since I don't
> have any
> diesel engines (and in light of the cost probably never will) I had
> no reason
> to check.
>
> The Triumph lists are a good source of information, I find.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe C.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins